gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] extension for navdata

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] extension for navdata
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2018 15:13:02 -0700

Yo Oleg!

On Tue, 30 Oct 2018 13:06:47 +0100
Oleg Roitburd <address@hidden> wrote:

> think it's a good idea, but I think it's missing in nmea0183 as well.
> I   looked at gps.h and driver_nmea0183.c and found only DBT handling.

Where to put data is not a big deal.  Getting the data is a big deal.
We need sample data from the sensor for regression tests.  Then we
need code to parse the sample data.  after that storing it someplace
is easy.

Nothing can happen in gpsd until those happen.  If you have NMEA 0183
data for a wind sensor then send it in.  Better yet, include a
decode patch as well.

> 2) Wind: A field is still needed in navdata_t.

Old news.  navdata_t has had wind_speed and wind direction since
at least 2015.

> Apparent (A) Wind.

Apparent wind is all we can measure.  True wind requires computation.
If a client needs to compute true wind from apparent wind and GPS
velocity then they can.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588