gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Improving the gpsd documentation

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Improving the gpsd documentation
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2018 09:44:41 -0800

Yo Sanjeev!

On Thu, 8 Nov 2018 23:24:16 +0800
Sanjeev Gupta <address@hidden> wrote:

> After an year, I am back at playing with gpsd and ntpsec, and started
> out re-reading the docs.

Glad to have you back.

> The XML is ugly to read, without converting it to man pages or HTML
> (and the HTML is ugly, too).

The XML is not really intended to be read by anyone except devs.

Not ugly would be nice, but I sorta expect UNIX doc to be ugly...

> Since the community overlaps, would it make sense to follow the ntpsec
> decision of asciidoc?

The end result looks pretty much the same to me.  If I do  "man ntpd gpsd"
the pages look like twins.

As a dev I slightly prefer XML.  XML has more tools to help the
developer.  Asciidoc is a bit eaaier to read, and modify, the raw file,
but is less flexible.

Both have enough idiosyncracies and gotcha's to require mental effort
when modifying them.

I do see some value in using only one system, and ascciidoc is likely
the more popular right now.

The main hurdle would be getting someone to do all the work of
conversion.  You want to create the patches to make it happen?

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588