gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Logs Timing

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Logs Timing
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2018 12:20:22 -0800

Yo teyrana!

On Wed, 21 Nov 2018 15:05:14 -0500
teyrana <address@hidden> wrote:

> > > Oh, gpspipe already generates the timestamps (with '-u' or '-uu').
> > > No code necessary!

I suspect -u and -R will not play nice together on a lot of binary
message types.

> > But gpsfake has no idea what to do with them.  gpsfake is called by
> > regression-driver to do the regression tests.
> >

> Yea, fair enough.  That's what I'd like to add!
>
> 1. Patch Proposal #1: respect time offsets in gpsfake:
> I was thinking that the start of the file would be matched to the
> start of execution, and subsequent messages would be offset
> respectively. (That is, if message #n is logged at y seconds after
> the log file started, it would be sent y seconds after 'gpsfake'
> begins executing.)

At a minimum.  Will need a CLI option to en-/dis-able, can't have the
regression tests taking forever on CI hosts.

> Follow-on patch proposals:
> 2. add a timestamp into the json output: (localtime if missing a
> timezone; UTC if it includes one)

We should always know UTC.  Localtime a mess.

Adding a timestamp in the JSON when one did not exist is problematic.
The current timestamps in the JSON are not the current time, but the
time the data element was measured.  If gpsd does not have that data, it
can not invent it.

> 3. Include timezone (or enforce UTC) in gpsfake)

UTC, otherwise regressions are inconsistent because they depend on a
characteristic of the host.  And timezones change all the time, not
useful for archival data like regressions.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588