gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Building gpsd on a fresh machine

From: Fred Wright
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Building gpsd on a fresh machine
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2018 19:29:28 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 22 Dec 2018, Gary E. Miller wrote:
On Sun, 23 Dec 2018 03:33:23 +0800
Sanjeev Gupta <address@hidden> wrote:
[...]
   1. Is libusb-dev now a hard requirement?  scons does not proceed
without that.  The instructions say it is optional

Where do you see that?  I see no such thing:

gpsd # fgrep libusb-dev * -r
gpsd #

That's because "libusb-dev" is the package name, not the library name. It's supposed to detect the absence of libusb and act accordingly. On the Mac, that seems to work properly when the libusb packages are disabled, except that it doesn't actually set usb=no in the options, which is confusing. There must be something incomplete about the "behind the scenes" disablement that affects Linux.

BTW, the best way to grep a git repo is with "git grep".

   2. pkgconf is not installed by default

I do not see anyplace that pkgconfig is actually run by scons.  Some
files are placed in pkgconfig directories.  And just for libQgpsmm.prl.
I don't think the gpsd tar ball installs any distro packages on any
distro.

The actual program is called pkg-config, and is used in relation to several dependencies:

MacPro:gpsd fw$ scons -j24 2>/dev/null|grep pkg-config
Checking pkg-config for ncurses... yes
Checking pkg-config for tinfo... no
Checking pkg-config for libusb-1.0... yes
Checking pkg-config for dbus-1... yes
Checking pkg-config for bluez... no
Checking pkg-config for QtNetwork... yes

Note that I didn't have libusb disabled in this run.

Fred Wright