gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Building gpsd on a fresh machine

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Building gpsd on a fresh machine
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2018 19:45:12 -0800

Yo Fred!

On Sat, 22 Dec 2018 19:29:28 -0800 (PST)
Fred Wright <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Dec 2018, Gary E. Miller wrote:
> > On Sun, 23 Dec 2018 03:33:23 +0800
> > Sanjeev Gupta <address@hidden> wrote:
> [...]
> >>    1. Is libusb-dev now a hard requirement?  scons does not proceed
> >> without that.  The instructions say it is optional
> >
> > Where do you see that?  I see no such thing:
> >
> > gpsd # fgrep libusb-dev * -r
> > gpsd #
>
> That's because "libusb-dev" is the package name, not the library
> name. It's supposed to detect the absence of libusb and act
> accordingly.  On the Mac, that seems to work properly when the libusb
> packages are disabled, except that it doesn't actually set usb=no in
> the options, which is confusing.  There must be something incomplete
> about the "behind the scenes" disablement that affects Linux.

Here is how SConstruct looks for libusb:

        if config.CheckPKG('libusb-1.0'):
            confdefs.append("#define HAVE_LIBUSB 1\n")
            try:
                usbflags = pkg_config('libusb-1.0')

Gentoo follows libusb upstream and does not mangle the package.  So
for me the simple CheckPKG('libusb-1.0') works fine.  I have no idea
what Ubunu did to libusb or how to work around the breakage.

Which is why I asked Sanjay for the failure logs.  Something non-standard
happening in Ubuntu...

> BTW, the best way to grep a git repo is with "git grep".

We'll have to agree to disagree there....

> >>    2. pkgconf is not installed by default
> >
> > I do not see anyplace that pkgconfig is actually run by scons.  Some
> > files are placed in pkgconfig directories.  And just for
> > libQgpsmm.prl. I don't think the gpsd tar ball installs any distro
> > packages on any distro.
>
> The actual program is called pkg-config, and is used in relation to
> several dependencies:

Ah, that makes sense.  Thank you.  I see scons is using it behind the
scenes.  Gentoo installs pkgconfig as part of the base system, so I
always have it.

I'm guessing we still have no action items until Sanjay gets us some
failure logs?

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588