gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Missing Number of Used Satellites

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Missing Number of Used Satellites
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2019 19:30:36 -0800

Yo Neustifter!

On Mon, 21 Jan 2019 12:49:41 +0000
Neustifter Andreas <address@hidden> wrote:

> we have a u-blox NEO M8N chip connected via tty and used in binary
> mode. When decoding the UBX_NAV_SOL message the number of satellites
> is read in
> driver_ubx.c:358<http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gpsd.git/tree/driver_ubx.c?id=87222d0aba681b87980e7bc602cee84a5361a77e#n358>

Yes.

> but the mask is not updated with SATELLITES_SET.

Yes.  That is intentional.

> Attached patch fixes that.

SATELLITES_SET is for when the skyview is updated.  UBX-NAV-SOL does not
update the skyview.  No skyview, no need for seen/used.

session->gpsdata.satellites_used is also updated when UBX-NAV-SAT messages
are decoded.  That is where SATELLITES_SET is set.

If SATELLITES_SET is set in UBX-NAV-SOL is updated then the skyview
can blink on and off in cgps.

So I'll pass on this patch.  Is there a case where a gpsd client is not
getting the sallellites_used set?

BTW, UBX-NAV-SOL is deprecated by u-blox.  When gpsd gets the u-blox
initialization under control it will switch to UBX-NAV-PVT for newer
u-blox.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588