gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Weirdness in gpsrinex

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Weirdness in gpsrinex
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2019 14:45:41 -0700

Yo Fred!

On Wed, 20 Mar 2019 12:35:45 -0700 (PDT)
Fred Wright <address@hidden> wrote:

> I was looking into some warnings in gpsrinex, but ran across
> something where it's really unclear what the intent was.  Both
> warnings relate to the obs_cnt array defined in lines 138-143.

Where do you see these warnings? gcc and 7.4.0m 8.2.0 and 8.3.0
compile clean for me.

> One warning is just for the missing initializer braces.  That one's
> easy - it should have two levels of brace rather than one (one for
> the array and one for the struct).

Feel free to push a fix.

> The weird one concerns the comparison in line 210 against the
> obs_cnts element.  It looks like the obs_codes enum should be the
> type of the *index* to the obs_cnts array, but it shouldn't be the
> type of its *value*, which most likely should be unsigned int.

The gpsrinex code works, but that is an error check, so likely untested.

It does look like obs_cnt_t obs_cnts should be a count, not an enum.
The enum is the index.  But since C uses ints for enums it ends up
working anyway.

> Meanwhile, there's a separate unindexed count element which doesn't
> seem to be used anywhere.

I assume you mean obs_cnt_t count?  I also don't see it used.

> The obvious fix is to fix the type of obs_cnts and remove the unused
> count element, but I'm not sure if there's something else going on
> that I'm missing.

I think you are correct.

It would be nice if gpsrinex had a regression test...  If you patch it,
then I can easily test it.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588