gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] ✘scons 3.0.5

From: Fred Wright
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] ✘scons 3.0.5
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2019 13:34:54 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 28 Mar 2019, Gary E. Miller wrote:
On Thu, 28 Mar 2019 12:48:02 -0700 (PDT)
Fred Wright <address@hidden> wrote:

On Thu, 28 Mar 2019, Gary E. Miller wrote:
On Thu, 28 Mar 2019 13:29:19 -0300
Lisandro Dami?n Nicanor P?rez Meyer <address@hidden> wrote:

I have qtnetwork 5.12.2 installed.    There is no file
QtNetwork.pc
It should be Qt5Network.pc. QtNetwork.pc is the Qt 4 version.

Ah, yes.  I'd forgotten about that issue.  That's why I added the
qt_versioned option.

Options are OK, autodetect is best.

Autodetect *alone* is a bad idea, since opportunistic configuration leads to nonreproducible builds. One shouldn't have to remove a dependency just to turn off a feature.

It's not unreasonable to use the environment to set the *default value* of options, but it should always be possible to specify the desired configuration explicitly, and have the build fail if the requested configuration doesn't work.

And in the particular case of Qt, one might have both versions installed (which was the whole point of the name change in the first place), so there may be no single "correct" value of qt_versioned.

Fred Wright