gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Fw: [gpsd-commit-watch] [SCM] GPSD branch, master, update

From: Fred Wright
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Fw: [gpsd-commit-watch] [SCM] GPSD branch, master, updated. dev-3.19a-435-g7fc42e4
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2019 16:27:03 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 28 Mar 2019, Gary E. Miller wrote:
On Thu, 28 Mar 2019 13:48:22 -0700 (PDT)
Fred Wright <address@hidden> wrote:

On Thu, 28 Mar 2019, Gary E. Miller wrote:

Newer u-blox may have two serial ports.  So in some cases it would
need to apply to the -S as well.

I considered that possibility, but as yet there's no readily
available documentation covering such receivers.  In particular, if
any protocol documentation for the 9 series exists at all, it's not
published on their website.
It is part of the 5 series.  Documented here:

u-blox5_Protocol_Specifications\(GPS.G5-X-07036\).pdf

Ah, OK. For the most part, the newer protocol manuals seem to be designed as supersets of the old, so the notion that something would be documented only in *older* manuals hadn't occurred to me.

It looks like dual UARTs are covered by the v5 and v6 protocol documentation, but not by v7 or v8.

It is part of the 9 series.  Documented here:

ZED-F9P_IntegrationManual_\(UBX-18010802\).pdf

That's just an integration manual. There are a variety of datasheets and integration manuals for a variety of parts, but the protocol is only documented in the protocol manuals. So far, I haven't found one available for v9 (or before v5, for that matter).

BTW, see the note in sec 3.3.1, indicating that UART2 isn't fully general, anyway.

I sometimes see "reserved" values in the USB port which look
suspiciously like the flags and baud rate for a UART port.  I suspect
that this is due to GPSD itself indiscriminately setting them.  It's
technically illegal to send nonzero values for reserved fields, but
what the receiver appears to do in this case is just set and echo the
values, while probably completely ignoring them internally.  This is
one of a few "not new" GPSD UBX-related bugs that I'll probably look
at after chasing the new bug I reported earlier.

Crn you cite where reserved must be zero for ubx?  I can not find a
general statement of that.  Feel free to dig into that mess.

The notion that you're supposed to ignore reserved fields on receipt and either leave them as is or set them to zero on sending is fairly general, and not specific to u-Blox. But it looks like they didn't get around to stating that explicitly until v8, where it appears under "UBX Payload Definition Rules":

        r11: Sec 30.3.2
        r15: Sec 32.3.2
        r16: Sec 33.3.2

I have lots of samples where u-blox set "reserved" data fields.

That's different.  *They're* allowed to set them, but you're not. :-)

But how many of these cases appear in the pure factory-config state, before gpsd or gpsctl or whatever has monkeyed with them (and you've possibly saved the modified values)?

I think what u-center does is read the existing value, and mask in the
changes.  A PITA to do.  The new 9 series does away with that mess.

It would take a pretty major protocol change to avoid the need to do that.

What I did to ubxtool is essentially the bare minimum needed to enable doing that sort of thing manually (via copy and paste). Making it convenient would need both a mechanism to read the settings before modifying them (as noted by the FIXME in the speed setting section), and also a substantial expansion of the command architecture to allow specifying a zillion possible fields and values.

Fred Wright