gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Fw: ntpsec | Pipeline #54712342 has failed for master | a

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Fw: ntpsec | Pipeline #54712342 has failed for master | a94224fd
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2019 14:17:35 -0700

Yo Fred!

On Tue, 2 Apr 2019 13:55:29 -0700 (PDT)
Fred Wright <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Apr 2019, Gary E. Miller wrote:
> >
> > I changed your osx_lib_tool code again.  For scons 3.0.5
> > compatibility. I think this time it is correct.  Please check it
> > out.
>
> It works for now, though storing config-related settings in global
> variables instead of environment variables is incompatible with
> cross-building.  Admittedly, anything relying on CheckProg() is
> likely to have cross-building issues, but storing the results
> improperly makes it worse.

Which is why I moved it back to an environment variable.

Given the number of weird things that our scons does, I'm open to
any changes that might help.

> > NTPsec is having an OSX bug.  Maybe similar to your gpsd bug?  Does
> > the below ring any bells?
>
> No, it's unrelated.  The osx_lib_tool thing has to do with getting
> the proper absolute paths into the shared libraries, so that programs
> that link against them know where to find them at runtime.  It
> doesn't affect any of the bundled programs, since they're all
> statically linked.

Well, yu would know more than I.  I'll pass that back to Matt Selsky.

> The *right* place for that is probably SCons, since it's the sort of
> platform-specific detail that it's supposed to take care of for you.

NTPD is waf, not scons.

> MacPorts added a version of that a while back, once someone
> discovered that (dynamically) linking their own program against
> libgps didn't work. But it's better to put it here, instead of
> relying on MacPorts to clean up after it.

Are you suggesting another patch to scons?  If so, send it along.

> I bisected the ntpsec failure to 9eae92b6.

I'll pass that on too.  Thanks for looking at it.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588