gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] U-Blox M8, PPS and NTPsec - GPSd logic enhancement

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] U-Blox M8, PPS and NTPsec - GPSd logic enhancement
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2019 15:05:53 -0700

Yo Martin!

On Fri, 5 Apr 2019 17:48:14 -0400
Martin Boissonneault <address@hidden> wrote:

> While writing this reply and applying your recommendations, my
> issues with GPSd being offset by one second continued.

It would be helpful if you said what you changed, and what the
results were.  You had a lot to change, yet you say nothing about
your new ntp.conf, or where SHM(2) is coming from.

So, in the future, be sure you answer all questions asked before
adding extra info.

So: what is your current ntp.conf, what is conencted to SHM(2) and SHM(2)?

> I found that
> adding NAV-TIMEGPS was fixing the 1 second offset. I've tried it many
> times, and disabling NAV-TIMEGPS and stop/start GPSd gets SHM(2) off
> by one second. Enabling back the message and stop/start GPSd and time
> is good! Odd...

All you are doing is moving the sentences around.  That can be good or
bad as it affects the parser trying to unroll things.

> I wrote the following reply to reflect the state of my configuration
> after testing. GPSd + NTPsec are currently working properly.
>
> The currently enabled messages + sequence:
> 21:16:31  R -> UBX NAV-SOL,  Size  60,  'Navigation Solution'
> 21:16:31  R -> UBX NAV-TIMEGPS,  Size  24,  'GPS System Time'
> 21:16:32  R -> UBX NAV-SOL,  Size  60,  'Navigation Solution'
> 21:16:32  R -> UBX NAV-SAT,  Size 388,  'Satellite Status and
> Information'_*EVERY 5 SECONDS*_
> 21:16:32  R -> UBX NAV-TIMEGPS,  Size  24,  'GPS System Time'
> 21:16:33  R -> UBX NAV-SOL,  Size  60,  'Navigation Solution'
> 21:16:33  R -> UBX NAV-TIMEGPS,  Size  24,  'GPS System Time'

And how did you set that configuration?  With gpsctl, or ubxtool,
defaults, or?  That is certainly not what gpsd expects, and thus
untested and likely suboptimal.

We can't really support configurations that are not well tested
and part of our regressions.

> ntpmon:
>       remote           refid      st t when poll reach delay
> offset jitter

Too early to look at ntpmon, your pool servers not running yet.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588