gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Broken Regressions

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Broken Regressions
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2019 15:27:21 -0700

Yo Eric!

On Mon, 8 Apr 2019 17:20:27 -0400
"Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Fred Wright <address@hidden>:
> > It looks like GPSD didn't handle the week rollover as well as most
> > of the receivers did, since there are now ten failing regression
> > tests plus a whole bunch of "gpsd:ERROR: date is negative!"
> > messages.  Fortunately, I think this only affects the tests and not
> > the normal realtime operation. A couple of spot checks look like
> > it's hallucinating week-rollover issues on some tests.
>
> Yes, this was expected - I even lrft a comment somewhere noting that
> the test suite needs to be rebuilt after an era rollover.  There is
> no help for this, it is an unpresent and inevitable consequence of
> the way the GPS calendar was designed.

It only affected 3 GPS: bu303, greis, and u-blox-sirf1.  So two really
old, and one really new.  Should be easy to deal with.

I'll be looking at it.

> > To make matters worse, the BUILD_WEEK and BUILD_ROLLOVERS
> > parameters, which are presumably intended to define the week-number
> > handling, aren't even used anywhere.  Though any code that thinks
> > in terms of two separate parameters is probably wrong, anyway. :-)
> > That means that one can't fix the behavior by tweaking those
> > parameters, nor can one grep for them to find the offending code.
>
> I don't remember creating either of those.  Gary, I think I remember
> you muttering about reproducible builds a while back - were these
> partt of that effort?

Nope, not me either.  That sort of thing might have worked in 1999,
but firmware after that is failing in all sorts of interesting ways
that have no obvious solution.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588