gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] ✘GPS roll over and regressions

From: Gerry Creager - NOAA Affiliate
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] ✘GPS roll over and regressions
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2019 07:40:51 -0500

Just remember that the original GPS spec was written for the DoD by engineers who didn't have nearly as much freedom with the fancy programming tools we have, and a lot of it was based on 8, 24 and 32 bit SHIFT REGISTERS! Going through the Red Books, I was amazed back in the early days that we were able to get meters of accuracy and better than milliseconds out of the system

gc

On Wed, Apr 10, 2019 at 9:40 PM Eric S. Raymond <address@hidden> wrote:
Gary E. Miller <address@hidden>:
> Yo All!
>
> After three days, I have to agree with Eric on just rebuilding the
> regressions.

It was ever fated to be thus.

I thought ahead to the next rollover back in 2009 and confronted the
fact then that there is no amount ot cleverness from GPSD that would
hack around the bad data we'd get after the wraparound.

The best we could hope for is not to allow any attempted compensations
to get in the way of good devices still delivering good data.  That
we seem to have achieved.
--

--
Gerry Creager