gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Additional SV flags?

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Additional SV flags?
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2019 14:30:06 -0700

Yo Michael!

On Tue, 30 Apr 2019 22:17:45 +0100
"Michael J. Tubby B.Sc. MIET" <address@hidden> wrote:

> > The newest GPS, like the u-blox 9, do not even bother to acquire the
> > Almanac anymore, they go direct to the Ephemeris since they have so
> > many receive channels.  On the 9 that takes about 6 seconds.
>
> Which is interesting, however without a valid almanac I don't think
> you know the number of leapseconds between GPS time and UTC.

Yes, but you don't need the entire Almanac for that, just subframe 4,
page 18.  And gpsd reports the current leap second to the user, when
known.

There are a few other useful bits in the Almanac, but modern GPS no
longer need an Almanac to lock onto a sat signal.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588