gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] withdrawal of libgpsd, gpsd.h?

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] withdrawal of libgpsd, gpsd.h?
Date: Wed, 01 May 2019 10:31:39 -0400

"Gary E. Miller" <address@hidden> writes:

> Please use 3.18.1.  3.18 did not work on some systems.

Thanks, will do - didn't see that scanning the download link.

>> Compared to the set of files installed before, I see that the
>> following are not installed:
>
> Hmm, not sure what that changed.

Keep in mind that this is a change I am seeing from 2.96 !!

>>   include/gpsd.h
>>   lib/libgpsd.la
>
> These two are internal, and should not be installed.
>
> Clients use include/gps.h and lib/libgps.so

Sure, and those are still there.

>>   lib/pkgconfig/libgpsd.pc
>
> I've never really understood pkgconfig, but I don't think that file
> ever existed.  Maybe you mean libgps.pc?

pkgconfig uses text files that encode cppflags and libs lines for a
package.  It is simply common code elimination from the practive of
having a foo-config for every package that one can invoke has
"foo-config compile" or "foo-config link", together with an autoconf
macro just for foo.  This is replaced with "pkg-config foo --libs" and a
single autoconf macro (with similar support in scons) to deal with
pkgconfig.

That file did exist in 2.96, and libgps.pc remains.

>> I looked at NEWS, and I don't see any mention of the withdrawal;
>
> Nothing to withdraw, they should never exist outside of the build.

They used to get installed.  (I realize I'm being confusing by being a
bit Rip Van Winklish.)

And thanks to esr who also explained that they are no longer installed
-- which makes perfect sense.