gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] RFC: GPSd on Android as a system service

From: Adam Serbinski
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] RFC: GPSd on Android as a system service
Date: Mon, 06 May 2019 19:44:16 -0400

>> It's not about passing on the unknown elevation, it's about passing
>> on the cno and SV identifying numbers.
>
>Which have no value without elevation and azimuth.

That is incorrect. That data is EXTREMELY useful. At the most basic level, if I
see NO SV's at all, then how do I know if the receiver is broken or it's just
poor signal? If I see a couple of SV's with a cno of 5, then I know that the
receiver is good and I can probably get a fix just by moving it somewhere else.

>> The -91 is incidental.
>
>No, it tells us the data is useless.

Incidental in terms of using it as a valid elevation. I don't care the
difference between -91, -125, or a flag in another field that says there is no
elevation.

>A good test for you would be to try to explain this to a casual user.

A casual user will see grey bars in GPS status, will see that they are short or
tall, and know that after grey comes maybe purple, then yellow, then lock. Or
the casual user will see nothing at all and wonder why.