gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Upcoming migration to GitLab

From: Fred Wright
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Upcoming migration to GitLab
Date: Sun, 26 May 2019 17:33:13 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 25 May 2019, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
Fred Wright <address@hidden>:
GitLab allows forks and MRs by default, so 1 is effectively done.

That may be true in general, but empirically, it is *not* true of
gitlab/gpsd/gpsd right now.  While signed in to GitLab, look at:

        https://gitlab.com/gpsd/gpsd

and note the absence of the Fork and Clone buttons.  Compare and contrast
with:

        https://gitlab.com/NTPsec/ntpsec

Ah, OK. We *are* going to have to turn off mitroring before it can be forked,
then.
I didn't know that - haven't done this before.

So that should be done sooner rather than later.

All interested parties should do step 2 now.  Performing the
command "git remote add upstream address@hidden:gpsd/gpsd.git"
should accomplish this.

Not quite, since the idea is to also have a fork pointed to by 'origin', as
well as a Savannah remote under some other name.  And being able to create a
fork on GitLab is a prerequisite.

Yes, I guess it is. I pointed mine at master of the main repo,
which we won't in general want people to do. Gary should, though.
We don't want the bus factor on that role to be 1.

There's nothing wrong with having both 'origin' and 'upstream', even if you typically push directky to 'upstream'. If 'upstream' isn't the default push target for the branch, it just means you ahve to specify it explicitly.

I'm not sure it's possible to transition atomically from #1 to #3, hence #2,
and in any case the "final sync" needs to happen between #1 and #3. I've
certainly seen the temporary read-only mode used in other repo migrations,
though admittedly not in the specific case of Savannah->GitLab, and I don't
know the administrative details.

I don't either. But I'm not worried about it. We don't get enough pushes per
day that transplanting in-between ones fromSavannah to GitLab by hand using
git patch-format and git am is going to be at all difficult.

Oh, it's *certainly* not necessary to resort to format-patch and am in any case. One can always copy commits from one repo to another via fetch and push, with a rebase in between if needed. No need to resort to error-prone and lossy patch files.

Ideally the Savannah issue database could be migrated to GitLab, but I don't
know if there are obstacles to that.  A complication is that if the GitLab
issue tracker starts being used before the migration, then it would almost
certainly result in issue number collisions (not to mention a loss of
issue-number monotonicity).

Again, I'm not worried about this. New issue numbering will start at #1.
We're not going to start colliding with open-issue numbers from Savannah
before the switchover is complete.  There's no way to avoid having new GitLab
issue numbers coincide with those on very old closed issues from Savannah,
so the best we can do is have a commit documenting the transition that
explains the problem.

I was assuming that if some sort of migration mechanism is available, it would include the ability to set the "next issue number" beyond the imported issues. In fact, there might be a way to set that parameter without the import.