gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Upcoming migration to GitLab

From: Fred Wright
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Upcoming migration to GitLab
Date: Mon, 27 May 2019 18:39:09 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 27 May 2019, Eric S. Raymond wrote:

Fred Wright <address@hidden>:
Did you do something to make Fork and Clone appear?

Enrolling you as a dev probly did it.

Perhaps. I thought I'd still observed the trouble after that, but maybe I remembered wrong, or maybe there was some "percolation time" involved.

In any case, that's clearly not an acceptable state of affairs for the final result, since Fork and Clone shouldn't be limited to project members. Obviously Fork is limited to GitLab users, since it needs some place to put the fork, but it could be any GitLab user. And of course Clone (which is just copying a URL to the clipboard, anyway) should be available to anyone.

        git fetch source_repo source_branch:local_branch
        git push dest_repo local_branch:dest_branch

Right, that's a variation on the push method I had in mind.  I should have
realized
one can stage through a third repo.

And it's not even very expensive when all three repos are in similar states, since both fetch and push are incremental.