gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Warnings from 32 bit FreeBSD

From: Fred Wright
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Warnings from 32 bit FreeBSD
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2019 20:12:05 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 13 Jun 2019, Gary E. Miller wrote:
On Thu, 13 Jun 2019 17:16:33 -0700 (PDT)
Fred Wright <address@hidden> wrote:

On Thu, 13 Jun 2019, Gary E. Miller wrote:

I think I just fixed about half your warnings.  Please test.

Very odd that your osX behaves so different than mine...

Well, for any OS version, there may be more than one Xcode version
that can be installed, and a given Xcode version sometimes includes
more than one toolchain version.  In general, the way I set up the
VMs is to have the latest Xcode (with command-line tools) for the
given OS, and whatever toolchain it gets by default via command-line
invocation.

And yet, my XCode is much newer than yours...

It depends on which VM you're talking about. The 10.13 VM has Xcode 10.1, which is only mildly behind. I can't make a 10.14 VM due to the "metal required" stuff, so the only way to test with 10.14 is to reboot into it. Hence I haven't included any 10.14 testing here.

And your Ubuntu out of date:

MacLinux: Welcome to Ubuntu 14.04.6 LTS (GNU/Linux 4.4.0-143-generic x86_64)
MacLinux: 79 packages can be updated.
MacLinux: 64 updates are security updates.

And even expired:

MacLinux: Your Hardware Enablement Stack (HWE) is supported until April 2019.

Yeah, but it's still a valid data point. Upgrades always require fighting battles with breakage, and that hasn't been a priority. Ubuntu 16 might not be *too* bad, but I've heard horror stories about upgrading to 18.

One mans dreck is another's gold.  I prefer my Matrix unfiltered...

I agree that one may need that when *chasing down* errors and warnings, but when merely *looking for* them, they tend to get completely buried in the full output.

Can you rerun without that?  W/o the config.log, gcc command line,
and the complete warings I am lost...

I made another version of the script that omits the -s and the "grep filter".

2) Some compilers emit a huge pile of warnings over some structure
initialization issue.  That's been a known problem for ages, but
there are so many of these messages that I included a grep filter to
get rid of them.

Which is why I never knew about it, so it does not get fixed.

It only happens with certain compiler versions. Eric certainly knew about it, since the docs state that "this is due to generated code and cannot be fixed". I'm not convinced that fixing this is impossible, but it's certainly a whole different kind of problem, and not amenable to an immediate solution.

AFAIK, these do not happen on my osX and Gentoo.

 But it doesn't filter out messages on preceding
lines specifying the error location, so you may sometimes see stuff
like:

        MacSLS: rtcm3_json.c: In function 'json_rtcm3_read':
        MacSLS: rtcm2_json.c: In function 'json_rtcm2_read':

Thus a new regression...

Those should just be ignored.

May I suggest fixing instead of sweeping under the rug?

See above.  Especially after seeing how many of these there are. :-)

Several of these are not gpsd related:

This is a problem with your Python conflicting with pkg_config:

MacFed: /usr/include/python2.7/pyconfig-64.h:1221:0: warning: "_XOPEN_SOURCE"
redefined
MacFed:  #define _XOPEN_SOURCE 600

It's whatever I got by installing the packages.

This is because you did not build all the drivers:

MacML: /opt/local/bin/ranlib: file: libgpsd.a(driver_nmea2000.o) has no symbols

That driver is turned off when you don't have "kernel CANbus support". The warning is just a silly warning complaining that an empty archive has no symbols. Really a bug in ranlib IMO.

These I already fixed:

MacNet: driver_nmea0183.c: In function 'merge_ddmmyy':
MacNet: driver_nmea0183.c:151:9: warning: array subscript has type 'char'

The only problems I see:

Openbsd and your old Darwin, not my new Darwin:

MacO32: gps2udp.c:142: warning: implicit declaration of function 'strsep'

This in your CentOS and Hal reports in NetBSD:

MacCent: driver_nmea2000.c:1549:18: error: storage size of 'ifr' isn't known
MacCent:      struct ifreq ifr;

So, good progress.  But still missing the info to fix these last ones.

Since the unfiltered output is over a megabyte, I'll send it privately.

Fred Wright