gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] ✘CentOS 8.1

From: Jason Azze
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] ✘CentOS 8.1
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2019 07:18:21 -0400

On Thu, Jun 13, 2019, at 11:52 PM, Gary E. Miller wrote:
> Yo All!
>
> I found a CentOS 8.1 vdi image.  The latest and greatest CentOS is using
> linux kernel 3.10!  That is no longer supported!

A few things...

I'd be skeptical about the vdi you found. CentOS 8.0.1905 hasn't been released
yet from what I can see from the CentOS build wiki. RHEL 8.0 just came out last
month.

DNF is now the preferred package manager, though yum will still work.

The kernels in the Enterprise Linux family are not old and out of support.  The
entire point of the EL endeavour is that fixes get back ported from upstream.
That's the value that Red Hat is adding. Now, we can disagree about whether
that's actually "value".