gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] ✘CentOS fixed?

From: Fred Wright
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] ✘CentOS fixed?
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2019 20:06:25 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 14 Jun 2019, Gary E. Miller wrote:

Try now.  OpenBSD fix pushed.

OpenBSD builds are now working. That exposes some other OpenBSD-specific warnings I'd forgotten about, but there's nothing GPSD can do about it since it's warning about "potential security issues" in libdbus. E.g.:

MacOpen: /usr/local/lib/libdbus-1.so.11.0: warning: vsprintf() is often
misused, please use vsnprintf()
MacOpen: /usr/local/lib/libdbus-1.so.11.0: warning: rand() isn't random;
consider using arc4random()
MacOpen: /usr/local/lib/libdbus-1.so.11.0: warning: srand() seed choices are
invariably poor

Conceivably there's some way to disable that warning (which I guess must come from the linker), but I don't think it's worth worrying about for the release. I've only seen it on OpenBSD, presumably due to its extra paranoia about security issues.

Ubuntu is still getting the "ignoring return value" warnings. What's weird is that those weren't happening until recently. Did you change any compiler options?

I personally consider that particular warning to be brain-damaged. It's one thing to warn about *accidentally* ignoring a return value, but a void cast should tell the compiler, "Dammit, I don't care about this value, so STFU." The language spec even says that a void cast is a way to explicitly discard a value. In any case, I think Eric came up with some semi-ugly macro to deal with this in NTPsec.

Fred Wright