gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] cfmakeraw part 2

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] cfmakeraw part 2
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2019 14:38:17 -0400

"Gary E. Miller" <address@hidden> writes:

> Yo Greg!
>
> On Thu, 20 Jun 2019 11:27:56 -0400
> Greg Troxel <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> "Gary E. Miller" <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> > Can you first see waht this says:
>> >    fgrep -r cfmakeraw /usr/include
>> >
>> > Every other OS seems to have cfmakeraw() in there somewhere...
>>
>> Apparently not cygwin, and POSIX does not specify cfmakeraw.
>>
>> These days, most of the Solaris codebase lives on (as Free Software)
>> under the name Illumos.  A variant of that, SmartOS, is used by joyent
>> in their cloud offering, and that uses pkgsrc as the standard
>> packaging system.  So we have a lot of fixes found by building on
>> Solaris, while which I'm sure include some Solaris bugs, seem to be
>> mostly beyond-POSIX assumptions.
>
> Yes, but can we test it?  Guessing at fixes is dangerous and wasteful.

I am not guessing.  I am moving a fix that was added to pkgsrc to gpsd
proper, believing that the person who added it was not confused, and
that their implied report that this moved gpsd from "not building" to
"building" was correct.  I sent a blog post about non-portable cfmakeraw
usage earlier.

Plus, it amounts to "|| defined(__sun)" in two places, mirroring cygwin.

> Looking at the Illumos site I don't see how gpsd could ever run on that.

I don't see why you say that.  It runs on regular computers and more or
less follows posix.  (I am not saying that is clear from the site, or
that I've tried it).