gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] version number proliferation, - considered harmful

From: Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] version number proliferation, - considered harmful
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2019 17:31:39 -0300

Yo Greg!

On Thu, 20 Jun 2019 at 16:12, Greg Troxel <address@hidden> wrote:
[snip]
> Options are:
>
>   3.19~dev (which I am 99% sure gpsd used to do)
>
>   3.18.70 (which aligns with very longstanding GNU notions that .80 and
>   .90 are for alpha and beta leading up to the next release, so that the
>   version numbers even of those sort correctly.
>
> While I'm a fan of the second option, I suspect not many other people
> are.
>
> So:
>
>   anybody else in favor of the second option?

I sincerely prefer the first one.

>   if not, any reason not to use ~ instead of -, to avoid the overused -?

On the contrary, I found it more suitable (but hey, I come from a
Debian background and this is the way we represent this cases with
packages). I even re checked Debian policy to see if it could be used
(that covers half the distro landscape after all) and found it to be
just right in:

<https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-controlfields.html#version>
upstream_version

Cheers, Lisandro.