gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] featuretest macros

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] featuretest macros
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2019 16:26:41 -0700

Yo Greg!

On Fri, 21 Jun 2019 19:18:38 -0400
Greg Troxel <address@hidden> wrote:

> "Gary E. Miller" <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > We just rexecntly discovered that NETBSD_SOURCE is required to get
> > NetBSD to work without warnings.
>
> I get the exact same set of warnings between:
>
>   git head as is
>
>   git head with all the visibility defines removed
>
> and the warnings I get appear correct.

Once again, you are on NetBSD 8, the warnings are for old NetBSD.

What is a "correct warning?

> Certainly, if one defines _XOPEN_SOURCE to 700 and does not define
> _NETBSD_SOURCE, then there are lots of undeclared functions.  Which is
> correct, as _XOPEN_SOURCE is a request to make visible the symbols
> specified by that standard, and no more.

Uh, which is it now?  You need _NETBSD_SOURCE, or not?

And we can't remove _XOPEN_SOURCE, and others, from gpsd as Python.h
defines it.  Not much t gpsd without Python.h

> My point is that _XOPEN_SOURCE and _NETBSD_SOURCE is exactly
> equivalent to not defining anything.  Unless there is some bizarre
> function required by some version of XOPEN that is hidden by default,
> but that does not seem to be the case.

Not what Fred found on older NetBSD.  You keep limiting the problem
horizon to way too small a range.

Let us stop guessing, and wait until we can test again.

> >> and then add specific tweaks for older OS/distros and document
> >> which OS/distro/version so they can be retired when GPSD drops
> >> support for that version.
> >
> > Which is what I spent the first part of June doing.  You'll notice
> > is git log a lot of defines removed.  A lot more to go.
>
> To me, the biggest improvement would be to limit the defines intended
> for glibc to systems with glibc.  That allows separate systems to be
> worked on separately.

100% agreed.  The problem is that XOPEN_SOURCE and _NETBSD_SOURCE
are used by much moe the globc and NetBSD.

Can we just sheve this until after 3.19?  I'm not getting any
work one on the dylib problem while stamping out mis-statements
about these defines.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588