gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] gpsd rolls back to 1999

From: Hal Murray
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] gpsd rolls back to 1999
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2019 00:30:48 -0700

>    2. The system time being correct *before* gpsd invocation would give it
>    a clue

There is no pivot logic on the ntpd side when looking at SHM.

I thought there was pivot logic for the NMEA driver, but I can't find it.  It
may be in the parse/generic driver.

Using the system time at startup might work for gpsd.  It seems counter to
ntpd's assumptions.

> I seem to remember this being discussed in detail, lots of detail, on the
> list.  I sort of thought the above two safety nets were in place.

The discussion may have been on the ntpsec list.

> Q1: What is your recommendation?

A) Get a recent GPS unit.
B) See below

> Q2: How can I use PPS from gpsd, yet not the absolute time?

A) GPSD doesn't work that way.
B) Ask Gary

C) Don't do that.  Work with what GPSD does by fudging things on the NTP side.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.