gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] gpsd rolls back to 1999

From: Hal Murray
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] gpsd rolls back to 1999
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2019 15:52:46 -0700

address@hidden said:
>   dealing with a time that is seconds since the GPS epoch, or
>   equivalently week number and seconds of week.  This is the main thing,
>   for devices that report in seconds.  I'll call this the W1K problem.

WNRO is the common term - week number roll over

>  Some computers have 32-bit time_t

Yes, but that's not going to be a problem for a while.  When we get there,
GPSD will be the least of their problems.

>   Some computers boot up with 0 in unix timeval, so we can't assume the
>   system clock is even close.

Is that a problem for GPSD?

It can be a problem for NTS.  The clock has to be close enough so that
certificates have valid times.

------

I'd expect the recipe to be as follows:

If you have a 2 digit year, add 1900 or 2000.  Pivot around GPS launch year.

If the date is before the build date, add 1024 weeks until it isn't.

You can use the release date rather than the build date if you want
reproducible builds.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.