gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] gpsd rolls back to 1999

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] gpsd rolls back to 1999
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2019 12:31:51 -0400

"Michael J. Tubby B.Sc. MIET" <address@hidden> writes:

> Might I suggest that we just have a 'GPSD epoch' in gpsd.h along the
> lines of:
>
> #define GPSD_EPOCH         1559347200L        // not before 1st June 2019
>
> as a time_t value, then however dates and mangled or unrolled the
> answer should always be post-epoch.

That's basically what I meant, but I didn't say it so clearly.  I'd call
it GPSTIME_PIVOT since we won't use it to define a timescale -- it is
defining a point in an existing timescale that we consider to be
reliably in the past.

> Every major release of GPSD has an epoch that does not change during
> patches, minor updates, OS releases, compiling by package distributors
> and hence we have consistency.
>
> GPSD need only change the epoch once every 6-12 months for the next
> major release, if at all.

Sure, and even if it there's only a release every 5 years it will be
totally ok.