gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] gpsd rolls back to 1999

From: Hal Murray
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] gpsd rolls back to 1999
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2019 12:25:23 -0700

address@hidden said:
> One issue is how you are really sure that the clock was right when built.
> That's another reason to use a fixed date that is surely in the past, but I
> think the notion of reproducible builds (by which I refer to the notion that
> the bits built are *exactly* the same on multiple systems) precludes using
> build time.  One of the main things to get rid of when making builds
> reproducible is any kind of timestamp from the build environment.

I'd be happy with a pivot date that was updated at release time.  It doesn't
have to be microsecond accurate.  Within a few seconds would be find.  If the
clock is a few minutes early, you just have to wait that long before the new
release will work correctly.

If you do a release every year, that gives a lifetime of 19 years rather than
20.  I can live with that.

If people stop making new GPS receiver chips or stop tweaking the protocol,
you may have to do a release just to bump the pivot date.  Somehow, I'm not
worried about that.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.