gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] gpsd - AT command control on modems

From: Hal Murray
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] gpsd - AT command control on modems
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2019 04:45:48 -0700

> There is no benefit to keeping the almanac when you have a 72 channel
> receiver.  You just listen to all sats all the time.

You can't listen to a satellite until you have the almanac and rough time and
location so you can work out the Doppler and know what frequency to listen to.

Without the almanac you can use trial and error to find a frequency slot with
a signal in it and then use that to read the almanac -- cold start.

I don't know how many frequency slots there are in a typical receiver.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.