gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] GPSd on FreeBSD

From: Hal Murray
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] GPSd on FreeBSD
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2019 22:16:00 -0700

address@hidden said:
>> The stock FreeBSD kernel doesn't include PPS support.
> Why do you say that?

Because I tried to use PPS on a FreeBSD/amd64 system and it didn't work and it
started working after I built a kernel with
  include GENERIC
  ident PPS-GENERIC
  options PPS_SYNC

>From kern/kern_ntptime.c
  #ifdef PPS_SYNC
  FEATURE(pps_sync, "Support usage of external PPS signal by kernel PLL");
  #endif

Thanks for the poke.  Looks like I'm confusing things.

PPS is ambiguous in this context.  It can refer to either getting a time
stamp, or to letting the kernel run a PLL that does all the work while ntpd
just turns it on, then sits off on the side and does sanity checking.

Looks like I was remembering troubles with the kernel PLL.  I don't see any
#ifdefs in the timestamp or ioctl area and the "kernel PLL" above is
suspicious.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.