gpsd-dev

[gpsd-dev] report on my build nits

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: [gpsd-dev] report on my build nits
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2019 14:36:32 -0400

Greg Troxel <address@hidden> writes:

> There seems to be some significant trouble with scons claiming the C
> compiler doesn't work and writing this in the cache and then believing
> that after a clean.  I haven't figured that out yet.

After switching to python3.7 and updating my build script to clean scons
harder, things are back to normal.  I'll just chalk this up to scons not
having a 100% working "distclean" kind of target that really removes all
intermediate build state.

> The docs are .adoc (peachy) but they refer to other docs as foo.txt.
> Thanks to completion I merely noticed this.

I just pushed a fix for this.

> [python versions]

The docs are clear that either is ok.   My scons problems were
confounding this.

> I don't have a binary "python" and set PYTHON=python2.7 in the
> environment before calling scons.  This used to work fine, and now it
> doesn't seem to (python not found) -- but lots of things seem odd which
> is probably just one other issue causing multiple oddnesses.  Has
> anything changed about this?

It used to be that PYTHON in the environment worked, and now it doesn't.
The docs didn't explain the scons target_python option, needed to find a
python interpreter not named python.  I pushed a doc fix that explains
this, in the python section of build.adoc.  I am now building ok.

So other than enforcing version matching on xgps vs gpsd, my issues are
all cleared up.