gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] report on my build nits

From: Fred Wright
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] report on my build nits
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2019 17:15:52 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 23 Sep 2019, Greg Troxel wrote:
Fred Wright <address@hidden> writes:
Easy.  Use the "target_python=python3.7" scons config option.

I did that, and the test suite had problems, I think because
target_python didn't get used for the tests that are written in python.

It *does* get used for the tests, and I see no evidence to the
contrary. Note, however, if you 'build' and 'check' with different
target_python settings, it will probably fail to notice that the
extensions were built for the wrong Python version, and thus won't
work properly.  You'd need to go out of your way to do that, though,
since the options are sticky.

I don't follow this.  There are tests with "#!/usr/bin/env python"
(which isn't the value of target_python), and running them qfails because
there is no bare python.  If there were a bare python, it would be
executing some python version which might or might not be the same as
target_python, which to me feels like undefined behavior.

Shebang lines are only relevant for programs run directly as commands. When the tests are invoked, they're explicitly prefixed by the target_python, making their shebang lines irrelevant.

Running them *manually* outside SCons is a whole different issue, of course.

Fred Wright