gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] ✘Change FIXED_PORT_SPEED and FIXED_STOP_BITS

From: Jason Schoon
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] ✘Change FIXED_PORT_SPEED and FIXED_STOP_BITS
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2019 13:58:25 -0500

Care to share you other patches?

I checked out the changset on master. Looks relatively similar to what we've done here. I'll review and give it some runtime, but I don't think there is anything additional to cover in our patches.

Thanks.

-Jason

On Tue, Oct 29, 2019 at 1:17 PM Gary E. Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
Yo Jason!

On Tue, 29 Oct 2019 07:15:47 -0500
Jason Schoon <address@hidden> wrote:

> > The time has come to change FIXED_PORT_SPEED and FIXED_STOP_BITS
> > from build options and make them runtime options.
>

> Wholeheartedly agree.

Good, done in git head, except for a few loose ends that keep apearing...

> We've begrudgingly modified this in our released
> products for years.

Care to share you other patches?

> I think the thing that has blocked many people previously are the
> hackers guide and FAQ that have statements such as
> https://gpsd.gitlab.io/gpsd/faq.html#baud

I'll have to update that.  It is correct in stating that even with the
new options that multiple receivers, and hot plugged receivers, will
still need to autobaud.

The big problem is that POSIX has no way to notify a program that it
is seeing parity errors and overruns.  This is a problem for many
Trimble that use 8O1.  The received data stream from the device looks
good at 8N1, but the device rejects commands due to parity errors.

Any thing I think of to work around this is ugly and/or non-portable.

> I'm all in favor of removing those and moving onward and upward.

Good, mostly done.  The multiple device problem, and hotplug problem
still remain.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588