gpsd-dev

Re: ✘GPS WKRO workaround

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: ✘GPS WKRO workaround
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2019 11:25:10 -0800

Yo Fred!

On Sun, 8 Dec 2019 20:10:40 -0800 (PST)
Fred Wright <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Dec 2019, Gary E. Miller wrote:
>
> [...]
> > Anything else that shold be addressed before next release?
>
> There are two regressions since the last release that I'm aware of:
>
> 1) The C++ build breakage related to timespec_str.  I already have a
> tentative fix for that, but just as I was about to test it, I ran
> into a disk-space issue for my VMs, which I'm in the process of
> sorting out.  The whole C++ area is pretty much a mess, but at least
> this can make it no worse than it used to be.

Thanks for lookinag at that.  I'll wait for your fix.

> 2) The rename of the altitude field has an interoperability issue
> with other GPSD versions.  The client and server can be on different
> machines, and not necessarily the same version.  At least one
> direction should be fixable with a bit of fallback code.

Yeah, I hate to do it, but adding the "altitude" back in, as a
deprecated and totally random variable has to happen.  The old variable
was undefined and varied by up to 100m depending on GNSS receiver.

Going forward, thanks to James, the forward/back compatibility will
improve a tlot.  Before then, there was never any cross-compatibility.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588