gpsd-dev

Re: new challenges in scons cleaning, things basically ok

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: new challenges in scons cleaning, things basically ok
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2019 09:43:34 -0500

"Gary E. Miller" <address@hidden> writes:

> Yo Greg!
>
> On Sat, 21 Dec 2019 12:16:53 -0500
> Greg Troxel <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> I have been trying to test and getting odd failures that don't seem to
>> quite reproduce.   I tracked that down to a new cache file, not
>> removed by scons --clean, appearing:
>>   .sconsign.4.dblite
>
> As documented in build.adoc.  Also a known scons bug:
>
> https://github.com/SCons/scons/issues/2268
>
> If you have a doc improvement, have at it.

I knew about the bug.  I just didn't realize that the file to remove
changed (I admit to only skimming some of the list mail over the last
year), and was following the previous instructions.

>> instead of the previous .sconsign.dblite.
>
> There is now a unique .sconsign.*.dbite for each different Python
> pickle protocol.  That fix thanks to bzed.

Ah.

So it seems really obvious to me ( :-) that (post release) there should
be a script in the gpsd repo that basically does scons --clean and then
removes the files that scons should have removed but didn't.  And a
reference to the bug.  We can argue about what to call it post release.

>> I think I have found at least one and may two minor bugs, which I
>> suspect is longstanding and probably best not to touch for this
>> release. The clearest one is that when passing libgpsmm=false, the
>> build tries to creat a qgpsmm test program, which can't link bcause
>> libgpsmm doesn't exist.
>
> I looked with "ldd tests/test_qgpsmm".  test_qgpsmm does not use
> libgpsmm.
>
>> So qt should probably be forced off if libgpsmm is off.
>
> I'm not seeing that.  At least not directly.

I didn't really look into this enough.  It may just be an issue with the
qt support (and libs in a prefix that isn't /usr).