gpsd-dev

Re: new challenges in scons cleaning, things basically ok

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: new challenges in scons cleaning, things basically ok
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2019 12:37:22 -0500

Hal Murray <address@hidden> writes:

> I like the suggestion of gpsd maintaining a script that does whatever is
> necessary to clean things up.
>
> That script can't delete anything it doesn't know about.  I'm likely to have
> scripts there.  So it has to know about the stuff it creates.  It also has to
> work from a tarball rather than depend on git.

Sure.  I think it's just going to be something like this:

    #!/bin/sh

    scons --clean > OUT.00_clean 2>&1
    for f in .sconsign.dblite .sconsign.4.dblite; do
        if [ -f $f ]; then
            echo "Removing $f"
            rm -f $f
        fi
    done

and then we add to it as necessary.  Basically the lore from the list of
how to avoid scons-cleaning-related pain, but executable.

I think it should be called "scons-clean" or "do-clean" or similar.

I agree that it can absoultely not delete things that are merely
unexpected.  Only known scons droppings that scons --clean fails to
remove.