gpsd-dev

Re: testing status

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: testing status
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2019 18:14:19 -0500

Bernd Zeimetz <address@hidden> writes:

> On 12/22/19 3:50 PM, Greg Troxel wrote:
>> I meant that on my system, as is normal on operating systems that have a
>> notion of base system and other things, things like gtk, gtkmm, qt, are
>> built with --prefix=/usr/pkg.  When those are all in /usr, which happens
>> on most Linux systems given the different approach to handling
>> base/extra (all in /usr, and labels on packages), then a class of bugs
>> about not passing -L/-R become invisible.
>
> Are the -L/-R flags from pkg-config ignored by scons or are they missing
> in the pkg-config files on your system?

I believe that the pkg-config files have the -L/-R ok (pkgsrc needs this
because basically everything beyond traditional BSD is built with a
prefix that is not in the default search paths).

I usually build gpsd by passing in:

export TAR=gtar
export PYTHON=python3.7
export CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/pkg/include
export LDFLAGS="-L/usr/pkg/lib -R/usr/pkg/lib"

(and pkgsrc sets up a shadow link tree of only declared dependencies and
uses that)

But really I will try this out again at some point and figure out what's
wrong.  It feels like failing to use the passed-in LDFLAGS in one case
while building test programs, rather than a general issue.