gpsd-dev

Re: ✘ Release blockers?

From: Kai Harrekilde-Petersen
Subject: Re: ✘ Release blockers?
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2019 22:56:56 +0100

On 31-12-2019 21:43, Gary E. Miller wrote:
Yo Greg!

On Tue, 31 Dec 2019 15:22:35 -0500
Greg Troxel <address@hidden> wrote:

   I think it's a bug that xgps default to imperial units.
Unless you live in the USA.  This can be changed with the (undocumented)
XGPSOPTS environment variable.  I guess it could be a build time option.

Considering that there are about 195 countries in the world (193 part of the UN, a few observers etc), not living in the USA is a reasonable assumption. The world population clock say we are 7.8 billion people on planet Earth, with about 0.33B of those living in the USA.

  Recently I
   saw someone in a normal context post GPS error estimates in feet (as
   part of a "why doesn't my phone nav work" discussion) and I was
really surprised that anybody would do that for a moment.
They must not live in the USA.

Most people aren't. See above.

That the US is still using British Imperial Units is comical, considering that you guys actually fought a war to get out of the British Empire.

Happy New Years, everyone.

Kai