gpsd-dev

Re: ✘Templating

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: ✘Templating
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2020 17:20:33 -0800

Yo Hal!

On Sat, 04 Jan 2020 10:28:35 -0800
Hal Murray <address@hidden> wrote:

> > I don't need warning messages, I need to save build time :)
>
> I think there are 2 issues.  One: does it build the stuff that won't
> run if it gets installed (because run time dependencies aren't
> installed).  Two: if it builds stuff that won't run, should it
> install that stuff.

I'm confused.  The only way gpsd can build stuff is if all the
build dependencies are available.  The the two cases are the same.

> I'm happy to build useless stuff as long as it doesn't take much
> time.

In the case of the gpsd python, the only time required is a simple macro
subsitution.  Very quick.

> Or at least happier than installing cruft that won't work.

I think that is better than not installing, and users complaining. they
can't find it because they did not read and understand the build
warnings.

In the python cases, when something does not work, it is because user
is missing a simple 3rd party package, which is simple to fix.  Plus
the user is told what he is missing only when he tries to run that
program and is focused on that program.

> (That's the sort of hack that comes back to bite somebody who didn't
> see/remember this discussion unless there is a good comment in the
> code.)

Which is why a runtime warning is better.

> What do you mean by "install"?  Are you installing into the normal
> system locations or into a side directory so you can make a tarball?

To me "install" is into normal system  location.  In Bernie's case
he puts it in a package for users that later "install" on their
system without compiling.

> I won't complain about installing cruft in a side directory.

Gonna be a few small python files.  I hate to have a lot of rules or
options.  Either gpsd "installs" it or not.

> Just curious.  Why does it take so long to install the dependencies?

No time at all.  But the end user needs to do it, or tha package creator
needs to make hard dependencies.  Either way, not time at all.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588