gpsd-dev

Re: gpsprof -r fails with no gpsd running

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: gpsprof -r fails with no gpsd running
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2020 17:21:44 -0800

Yo Greg!

On Thu, 23 Jan 2020 20:15:14 -0500
Greg Troxel <address@hidden> wrote:

> "Gary E. Miller" <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Yo Greg!
> >
> > On Thu, 23 Jan 2020 10:45:06 -0500
> > Greg Troxel <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> >> (I'm trying to fix the gpsprof problem with TPV records with no
> >> fix.)
> >
> > Cool.  Another nice to have feature would be an option for how many
> > minutes to capture.
>
> Could be, but I always want the file and don't really trust gpsprof at
> this point, so I use gpspipe -w to capture and then reprocess until I
> have debugged gpsprof.

Yes, sometimes I do that too.  Gotta fix -r first...

> >> Running gpsprof with a saved file results in a stack backtrace in
> >> the case where the is no runnning gpsd.
> >
> > Yes, I do that.
>
> As in you tried this and got the same error, with 3.20 or master?

I get the exact same error with git head.  I have not tested, but will
bet that 3.20 has the same error.

> Trying to make sure it fails for you too before bisecting, but I bet
> it does.

Yup.  I see the same thing, and I'll bet that it is the reconnect
patches that did it.

> >> I am unclear on whether gps.gps(host=None) (see line 320, or close,
> >> within replot()) is
> >>
> >>   wrongly called because it assumes a running gpsd, or
> >>
> >>   wrongly behaving, in that None should produce a valid object that
> >> does not try to connect and always behaves as if disconnected, or
> >>
> >>   something else
> >
> > My guess is the meaning of None got changed somewhat recently.
>
> As in gps.gps() use to take host=None to mean "do not try to connect",
> and now it means localhost somehow, or something like that?

Maybe, or something related.  Either way, a good bug to fix.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588