gpsd-dev

Re: master fails to build/check

From: Ladislav Michl
Subject: Re: master fails to build/check
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2020 01:37:56 +0100

On Fri, Jan 31, 2020 at 03:36:48PM -0800, Gary E. Miller wrote:
[...]
> You are correct, decades.  Gpsd only requires C99, and a few extensions.
> So now you see why gpsd insists on what was common decades ago, not the
> newest shiny thing, soon to change again.

Well, it is two decades people realized polluting toolchain is a bad idea.
I hope it won't change again. Besides gpsd builds on scons and python
A language which will cause a lot of troubles with python-2.7 deprecation.
Conservatism looks a bit funny in this light.

> Two words: Slowlaris and RHEL.

I do not see how those systems relate to mixing toolchain and library
stuff into single directory.
[...]
> So how is gpsd supposed to know where to look?  Some folks cross compile
> for many arches.  Gotta keep that stuff separate somehow.  Magic just
> does not work.

and sysroot as gpsd is using it makes that separation harder not easier.
I'm not against that, I do not want to change that, just do not buy
this argument.
[...]
> I don't remember anyone saying you had to use sysroot?  Somehow yocto
> makes it easy.  Look at what they do.  Talk to them.

I can see what yocto does and I'm doing more. I do not see the point
asking on yocto mailing list for a stuff they omitted.
[...]
> Good, we agree on that.  But without exact details of what is not
> working for you, hard to give you good advice.

A good advice was already given, thank you.

        ladis