gpsd-dev

Re: master fails to build/check

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: master fails to build/check
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2020 15:05:11 -0800

Yo Ladislav!

On Sat, 1 Feb 2020 17:28:44 +0100
Ladislav Michl <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello Garry,

One R please.

> > I know pkg-config sometimes works, for some people.
> > That says nothing about pkg-config working for all people all the
> > time.
>
> Seems we are in "Pot, kettle, black" swamp again...

I don't see how.  You say pkg-config is all you need.  I say it is
not enough for everyone.  If you want to fork gpsd that only works for
your use case, have at it.

> > I'm saying, as fact, that pkg-config does not work for all people
> > all the time.  Nice to have, do not count on it.  Works for you is
> > nice for you. Works for everyone is a good patch.
>
> I'm obviously unable to fix all people problems for eternity. I'm just
> stating I do not need to use gpsd's sysroot as long as pkg-config does
> the job for me.

As you have stated many times, and as I have stated: if you don't want it
don't use it.

There is a finite number of times I'll repeat myself when no new
data is added to the conversation.

> > I saw nothing in your patch about install dir.  Feel free to open up
> > an email thread on that SINGLE issue.  So we can stop bouncing
> > around, settling on nothing.
>
> That's unevitable consequence of using sysroot.

"unevitable"?  Lost me...

> Now, once I know, I
> should stay away from sysroot, I need to be able to install udev rules
> and systemd units to the staging area, elsewhere known as sysroot.

gpsd has no staging area.  gpsd does not use sysroot for anything
remotely like a staging area.  gpsd reads from sysroot, it does not
(or at should not) ever write to sysroot.  In almost all cases sysroot
will be read-only to the user compiling gpsd.

You are configure sysroot with DESTDIR.  DESTDIR is where gpsd installs
things.

> > Yes, but the patch was not exactly that.
>
> Care to explain how it should be modified to be _exactly_ that?

Beats me.  As I have said many times, I do not cross-compile.  I'm just
trying to make sure any patch does not mess up normal compile.

> Also see 777cb3737ae8 ("do not interact with systemctl when
> cross-compiling") for rationale. The rationale is right, but
> test should depend on target rather than sysroot.

I'm all for the rationale.  The correlation of "target" and wanting
systemd stuff is small.  Unless we find a perfectly correlated set
of variables his may need a new variable.

> > Uh?  I prefer not to waste time on fantasy issues.  If it is not
> > real to you, why are you bringing it up?
>
> I call problems I'm unable to solve or to solve them using enormous
> efford real problems.

Clearly we are not speaking the same english.

So, I'm gonna stop here.  You keep talking around the problem, but
not about specifics of your problem.  No build log, no config log, no
description of your build environment.  Etc.  So I'll wait for more
patches to evaluate, and skip the bike shedding.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588