gpsd-dev

Re: would it be time to replace scons with meson build system?

From: Bernd Zeimetz
Subject: Re: would it be time to replace scons with meson build system?
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2020 23:29:01 +0100

On 2/5/20 3:26 PM, Greg Troxel wrote:

> This rules out cmake, which needs C++11, and for me, has a personal
> track record of having difficulty building it due to tracking C++
> features way too fast.  And, (perhaps this is unfair) cmake-using
> projects tend to have a lot of code in CMakefiles that has per-OS ifdefs
> when they should have feature tests.

cmake should support c++ 98, 11, 14, and 17 just fine, fail to
understand the problem to be honest. Could you give an example what
exactly fails when using cmake?
And that some projects do stupid things is something you do not have to
repeat to use cmake.

The current project I'm maintaining comes with >>600 MB of source code
and various kinds of programming languages and optimizations - I could
not imagine to use a different build system than cmake.