gpsd-dev

Re: would it be time to replace scons with meson build system?

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: would it be time to replace scons with meson build system?
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2020 15:51:52 -0800

Yo Paul!

On Thu, 6 Feb 2020 02:40:42 +0300
Paul Fertser <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Wed, Feb 05, 2020 at 05:55:15PM -0500, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> > Bernd Zeimetz <address@hidden>:
> > > Imho the only useful alternative is cmake. Or meson, if you
> > > really think so.
> >
> > Both two-phase systems.  Why do people keep building these things?
> > It's a bad idea that never gets better noo matter how often it's
> > repeated.
>
> For many people it feels natural that build _configuration_ (that is,
> arranging things in a way suitable for a specific system with specific
> user options) and the build itself are very distinct tasks requiring
> different sets of features.

Yes, different features, different phases, but strongly inter-related.

For example, gpsd will buld, or not build, supplemental stuff depending
on the host system.

I find this "two phase" thing misleading.  There must be three
phases: 1) detect the current host, 2) build to fir that, 3) install.

But separating them by using totally separate tools adds major annoyance.

> And sometimes installing (and not
> installing when one wants to run or debug a program with shared
> libraries) build artifacts properly is a separate non-trivial task as
> well.

Yup, phase 3: install.  Which, as you point out, has strong requirements
in pahases 1 and 2.  Much easier when the interdependencies are in one
file, not dozens.

> Speaking on topic, I'd say that for a project like GPSD the build
> system should be simple and "the least surprising" to the users.

I don't know how you can get timple than this:
   scons -c && scons && scons check && scons install

Just cut/paste from the install doc.

> CMake fits the bill. How often have you seen people complaining about
> difficulties debugging CMake files?

All the time.  I hate it.

> And yes, I'd say it's likely to make your
> users a bit happier.

No, gpsd users don't care, they just cut/paste the build instructions.
Same for cmake, they just cut/paste the build instructions.

But, if you think you can send in a patch that solves everyone's
problems, please do!  Quickly!

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588