gpsd-dev

Re: would it be time to replace scons with meson build system?

From: Christian Gagneraud
Subject: Re: would it be time to replace scons with meson build system?
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2020 13:31:05 +1300

On Thu, 6 Feb 2020 at 06:47, Eric S. Raymond <address@hidden> wrote:
> There was one other in contention, a single-phase builder I've forgotten the
> name
> of. waf and the other more modern build engines didn't exist yet.

Wikipedia has them all:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_build_automation_software

BTW, I think that what you refer to as 'single phase' can be found in
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_build_automation_software#Make-incompatible

As opposed to the 'generators' (two phases: generate with tool1, build
with tool2), which can be found in
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_build_automation_software#Build_script_generation

And I agree with your arguments that generator based build systems are
way harder to troubleshoot.

Chris