gpsd-dev

Re: Using gpsfake with Chrony

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: Using gpsfake with Chrony
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2020 11:35:02 -0800

Yo Simon!

On Mon, 10 Feb 2020 13:10:42 +0100
Simon Larsen <address@hidden> wrote:

> So my question is the following: Is it possible to replay an NMEA
> logfile through gpsfake and have GPSD process/send the data to
> Chrony? Kind regards, Simon Larsen

Yes, but pointless.  The timing info that chronyd needs is the PPS,
and the PPS data is not in the NMEA.  There is some coarse timing in
the NMEA, but unless it is played back with precise timing then it
will just confuse the filters in chronyd/ntpd.

You will need to capture the SHM() data, the data gpsd sends to chronyd,
and play it back exactly so that chronyd see it with relative timing
intact.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588