gpsd-dev

Re: Invalid position given by Telit HE910-EUG

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: Invalid position given by Telit HE910-EUG
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2020 11:25:49 -0400

Titouan Christophe <address@hidden> writes:

> /home/titou/br-test-pkg/br-arm-full/build/gpsd-3.20/.sconf_temp/conftest_27:
> ELF 32-bit LSB executable, ARM, EABI5 version 1 (SYSV), dynamically
> linked, interpreter /lib/ld-uClibc.so.0, not stripped

I am guessing your build host is not arm....

> Yes, I am cross-compiling (building for ARM on an x86_64 host) with
> Buildroot, so this is normal, because the current SConstruct file
> attempts to build and run a simple program to determine
> sizeof(time_t). See
> https://gitlab.com/gpsd/gpsd/-/blob/release-3.20/SConstruct#L623-631

Back when gpsd used autoconf, I fixed cross compiling, and it worked
well.  I have not tried since the switch to scons.    Basically, the
notion of building a program and running it is something you just can't
do.

I'm not even really clear on the need to check time_t; it seems to be
about giving warnings to people if time_t is still a 32-bit value (which
is an OS choice, not determined by the CPU type, but one well-known OS
seems to use the native word size).

That build/run should obviously be conditional on not doing cross
compliation, with the usage either skipped or somehow worked around if
so.   I think cross compilation is a requirement (and esr listed it as
so when he posted my requirement list :-), so I'd be inclined to just
remove this if at all possible.

You could try removing this from SConstruct, and either 1) find that the
definition added isn't used or 2) put a definition for your target there
manually.