gpsd-dev

Re: gpsmon segmentation fault

From: SZIGETVÁRI János
Subject: Re: gpsmon segmentation fault
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2020 10:50:47 +0200

Hi Gary,

Gary E. Miller <address@hidden> ezt írta (időpont: 2020. ápr. 6., H, 20:37):
AFAIK, there is no one working on gpsmon.  Not for some time.

Do cgps and xgps work for you?

I don't have X installed, so I can only confirm that cgps does seem to work OK.

Are you 100% sure you totally removed all remnants of the previous
gpsd?

Yes, in the end I reinstalled the whole OS, and since then, I only installed version 3.20.
Plus I build gpsd with a build script, that generates an OS specific package, that I can install and remove at any later time, so I would rule that out as a possible cause.

I assume you recompiled on the RPi2?  They are not binary compatible.

Yes, I absolutely did. Slackware on RPi1 was soft-float, and on RPi2 it's hard-float, so I had to do it.

> If I do a strace on gpsmon, I get this:

What will show the problem is a gdb back trace.

Okay, I let gpsmon dump a core, but this time the binaries were stripped of debug information. If you'd like to see debug could you point me to some resource explaining how to do a debug-enabled build of gpsd with scons.

root@ntp:~# gdb --core core-gpsmon.19653.ntp.lan.1586247182 /usr/bin/gpsmon
GNU gdb (GDB) 9.1
Type "show copying" and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "arm-slackware-linux-gnueabihf".
    <http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/documentation/>.

For help, type "help".
Type "apropos word" to search for commands related to "word"...
Reading symbols from /usr/bin/gpsmon...
(No debugging symbols found in /usr/bin/gpsmon)
[New LWP 19653]
Using host libthread_db library "/lib/libthread_db.so.1".
Core was generated by `gpsmon'.
Program terminated with signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
#0  0x76de0094 in _nc_waddch_nosync () from /lib/libncurses.so.6
(gdb) bt full
#0  0x76de0094 in _nc_waddch_nosync () from /lib/libncurses.so.6
No symbol table info available.
#1  0x76de1234 in waddnstr () from /lib/libncurses.so.6
No symbol table info available.
Backtrace stopped: previous frame identical to this frame (corrupt stack?)
(gdb)

> (Part of the startup related output omitted.)

Sad, the startup is the most interesting part to me.

Okay, I can easily fix that. Please find the whole output attached.

Please let me know in case you need anything else.

Best Regards,
János

--
Janos SZIGETVARI
RHCE, License no. 150-053-692

LinkedIn: linkedin.com/in/janosszigetvari

__@__˚V˚
Make the switch to open (source) applications, protocols, formats now:
- windows -> Linux, iexplore -> Firefox, msoffice -> LibreOffice
- msn -> jabber protocol (Pidgin, Google Talk)
- mp3 -> ogg, wmv -> ogg, jpg -> png, doc/xls/ppt -> odt/ods/odp