gpsd-dev

Re: ✘Input device permissions

From: James Browning
Subject: Re: ✘Input device permissions
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2020 20:13:56 -0700

On Mon, Apr 13, 2020, 7:24 PM Gary E. Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
Yo Hal!

On Mon, 13 Apr 2020 19:16:24 -0700
Hal Murray <address@hidden> wrote:

> address@hidden said:
> >> Is this a good reminder to fix that stuff so readers are read
> >> only?
> > What read-only readers do you refer to?
>
> The idea is that gpsd sets things up so it can read/write the SHM
> segment but ntpd or shmmon can open it read only.

Ah, you mean the SHM readers.  I think SHM perms are like file perms.
You can only specify perms by owner, group and wowrld.

> And ntpd and shmmon and anybody else can all run at the same time.

Yeah.  Not sure how to improve that.  That would require NTP Classic,
gpsd, NTPsec and chrony to agree on a change.

I seem to recall reading something about chrony using a socket instead of SHM for PPS and stuff. udev and systemd woul typically try to start gpsd as gpsd:dialout iirc, with devices as root:dialout and 640 file permissions. I am probably wrong about that though. What does the git log say the times the relevant lines have been touched?