gpsd-dev

Re: Python version hell

From: John Ackermann N8UR
Subject: Re: Python version hell
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2020 15:02:54 -0400

Hi Gary --

I'm trying to follow your message, but not having much luck.  I've
trimmed some below for brevity; I didn't mean to chop anything relevant.
I won't get into the /usr/local/lib stuff as that's not critical.

On 4/28/20 1:53 PM, Gary E. Miller wrote:

>> After RTFM, I ran "scons target_python=python3.7" and that completed
>> without errors.
>
> Good.
>
>> HOWEVER, the python programs like gpsrinex and gpsprof still use a
>> shebang line of "#!/usr/bin/env python" which executes the default
>> python2.7.
>
> Which is the correct behavior.

Why would that be the correct behavior?  I told it the python target was
3.7.  Why shouldn't it configure the scripts to run that version?

>> That of course fails, because the gps module is built for Python3 per
>> the target_python argument.
>
> Fails because you forgot to build for both versions of Python.

??? I didn't *forget* to build, I didn't *want* to build for both
versions.  That's why I told it the target was 3.7.  Why should I have
to build for both?  I don't want to use 2.7 at all.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what's going on here.  It seems that
in this time of Python transition there should be a straightforward way
to build the tools for the version you want.

John